Monday, March 22, 2010

My Trip to Arizona, USA, with the Collingwood Football Club


What better way to begin a new blog than to begin with the Collingwood Football Club – I have probably put some readers off already but read on anyway! There’s a moral to the story at the end!

One of my avid interests is Australian Rules Football (Aussie Rules). It began when I was 5 or 6 years old in a country town called Portland down south in country Victoria. Late 1950’s, and I remember it as clear as day. My next door neighbour old (he was probably 35), Eric Lane, said “Young Timmy, who do you barrack for in the Melbourne footy?” I didn’t even know of its existence (we didn’t have TV then either). He told me that I was to barrack for Collingwood – the Magpies! And that’s what I did, and have done ever since. Around 1971-72 I even got an invitation through the Portland Football Club to go and try out. I chose not to, but it’s something that I have never stopped bragging about to my kids over the years!

Anyway, I have continued to be a one-eyed Magpie supporter ever since.

Obviously living in Alice Springs and having raised five children here in the Northern Territory I rarely ever got to a game. However, with the kids all grown up and all but left home, I have managed one or two games for the past couple of seasons.

However, last year (2009) I took one really big step. Collingwood, over the past few years, have been going to Flagstaff, Arizona, in November or thereabouts to train in the high altitude for a couple of weeks. They pencilled into their program a few vacancies for businessmen or supporters to join them. On seeing this on their website I was pretty keen and waited for a good opportunity to ask my wife if she would mind. I got her in a really good mood, and she said “go for it!” I was very careful that I didn’t say “are you sure?” I just let out a few “I love you’s” and locked it in by contacting Collingwood before she could change her mind. (Not that she would but just in case!)

Anyway, I had to get a bit fit so for the next few weeks I was climbing the McDonnell Ranges here in Alice Springs and walking/jogging through the bushlands. And the more I did it, the more I enjoyed it.

Collingwood were keen to have the “execs” as they called us (4 in total) to do a few workouts in their high altitude room in Melbourne. Obviously living in Alice Springs I couldn’t manage this. Soon I was in Melbourne ready to go, and on invitation, popped into the Lexus Centre (Collingwood headquarters) and there met Ryan Whitehouse (Corporate Sales Executive) and Luke Vella (Conditioning Officer). I had in mind that it was just a hello, nice to meet you, see you at the airport tomorrow. They were very friendly and said, “seeing you’re here, let’s do a workout on the treadmill in the altitude room”. I’d just finished a McDonald’s breakfast on top of quite a few wines at a good friend’s home the night before – I was concerned! And rightly so, for the next hour in a hot, air thinned room, I near died! Well felt it anyway! However, I eventually completed the longest hour of my life alongside Ryan who casually “consumed” the hour on the adjoining treadmill with his sense of “humour” that rarely got through my “pain barrier” and sweat. (Unbeknownst to me, I was to get a fair bit more of Ryan’s “humour” over the next two weeks!)

I survived the hour and headed out to see a ceramic maker friend of mine, and I stayed in a motel nearby.  The following day I spent chasing up other business jobs and ended up at a hotel at a Melbourne airport where I wanted to spend another hour on a treadmill. This I did, but in an air conditioned gym with normal air. I did it in a breeze – but hadn’t had excessive wine or a McDonalds meal prior either! I was happy as I was really personally disappointed with the struggle in the high altitude room.

The following day, I dressed in my Collingwood attire (it was mandatory to travel in it – which I felt good about actually) and caught the hotel courtesy bus across to Qantas International Departures and there, all in a large group, was the Collingwood team and accompanying staff – and the press. Of course I knew all of the players and some of the coaches because I’m a supporter. However, not one person knew me. I was a bit apprehensive but needn’t have been because players, coaches and the like, instantly made me feel welcome by introducing themselves. As did the other three “execs”. I even got my picture in one of the National papers talking with Nathan Buckley!

It wasn’t long before we were all on the plane and heading across the skies high above the Pacific Ocean en route to Los Angeles. And I think, without doubt, it was the first international flight I have ever flown without having a few wines! Discipline was the order of the day! On landing at LAX we then caught another short flight to Phoenix, then a 2 or 3 hours bus trip to Flagstaff which was to be our home for the next 9 or 10 days.

And did I enjoy those next 9 or 10 days? Yes I did! I shared a room with another “exec”, Paul Moorcroft, a builder from down in Tasmania. Fortunately we got on like a house on fire – and luckily I had ear plugs because he snored! I also threw pillows, books, anything I could get my hands on, at him during the night. We also kept a can of air freshener on hand because the healthy foods we ate on a consistent basis caused havoc to our systems!!

Ryan Whitehead, the Corporate Sales Executive, had obviously been assigned to look after us “execs”. He was early 30’s and shared a room with David Wright, a mid 30’s manager for a large catering firm from Melbourne, and having a room to himself was lawyer, David Poulton, closer to my age.

Well from the first day to the last, we didn’t stop. It was a wonderful experience. At our pace, in the dome, on the fields and in the gym, we participated in all sorts of fitness drills with the players and coaches – including jogging, sprinting, handballing, kicking, stretching and weights - right throughout the duration of our stay. I personally, was determined to see out the entirety without doing an injury, so paced myself accordingly and managed it reasonably well bar a sore hip. David Wright, who we nicknamed “Junior”, was as “fit as a mallee bull” and made it through (injury wise) unscathed. David Poulton did his hamstring, and my roommate, Paul, did something to his foot. And I might add that I told him he would cause himself an injury if he didn’t ease back – did he listen? No! And then he sooked about it and I think he must have shown me his foot about fifty times after that! There was a red mark of sorts and I was supposed to deduce something out of that! On each occasion!! (Hope you’re reading this Paul! Ha ha).


Photo on Left - In the dome! Me (second from right) with: two time Best and Fairest winner and VFL manager, Paul Licuria, and Assistant Coaches, Scott Watters and Mark Neeld – I think I was advising them that in my day only girls wore stockings!!!


Photo on Right - Dayne Beams, myself, and Dane Swan in the weight room – their tatts had some class!


Mt Humphries, the highest peak in Arizona, was also there for us to conquer! A few players with niggling injuries didn’t go but everyone else did, including Mick Malthouse (senior coach) and I think all of his assistants including Nathan Buckley, Scott Watters and Mark Neeld, did the climb, along with team doctors and physio’s, etc, who were all great blokes. My new mate Paul didn’t do it because his foot was too sore! Did I call him a wuss? No I didn’t actually! As much as I love making fun of him (and vice versa), it was a genuine injury and he was bitterly disappointed in not doing it!
Everyone was rugged up with plenty of water bottles or a camel pack on their backs (I had a 3L camel pack). We went in two groups. The second group consisting mainly of players, who had to work harder and try and catch group one. Well that didn’t take long! Maybe an hour at most and they had us. We then all proceeded as one group but dispersed into smaller groups moving at different paces. Once above the tree line David Poulton and I became very much affected by the thin air. We could only manage about 20 metres or so before we had to stop and recover.  Young Luke Vella was with us and gave us lots of encouragement for we still had a long way to get to the summit. It was also freezing cold, very windy and snowing. For some reason or another, after about ½ an hour of struggling I got a “second wind” and completely recovered from the thin air problem. I was ready to take off after the lead group but Luke quite rightly suggested that we stick together as a team. I’m not sure if David Poulton adjusted to the thin air or not, but whatever the case, the poor bugger had glasses on that continually fogged up with snow. However, step by step he bravely battled on and we all made the summit where a group of 15 or 16 were waiting in minus 30° conditions. Others were still behind us. Mick made an executive decision to immediately head down, which of course, we did. He set a good pace which I actually enjoyed and was surprised by my body’s condition after just completing a bloody tough 4 hour climb up! The trip down took an hour and a half without water because the camel pack had completely froze.
.
Photo on Left: A quarter of the way up - taking a quick break

Mick led most of the way and I followed closely behind him. I couldn’t help making a few smart arse comments whenever he stumbled on a tree root or something. Only once I think, did he take his eye off the track and that was to lightly slap a tree trunk on passing – and head over heels he went! It was so funny, I couldn’t stop laughing, and with a grin on his face I was made to promise – no ‘ordered’ not to tell anyone! Of course I agreed – scouts honour! It “somehow” leaked out though, and he defended himself by saying that I had pushed him!!
Anyway, everyone eventually made it back to the car park, then bussed back to the hotel to the warm water, pool and spa! And that was enjoyable! My skin folds certainly weren’t anything like the players and I made the point that I was a living example of what they would look like in bathers when 56. Heath Shaw suggested that he would probably look similar to me a year after he retires.

We also did a 28km Grand Canyon walk. Starting at the top then down along the Colorado River, then up to the top again. The players, under the leadership of assistant coach, Nathan Buckley, ran/walked it at a very past pace! There was not a chance in a million that I could have kept up! The climb back up was tough, bloody tough! My little roommate Paul (he’s only about 5’4”) had his foot bandaged up and toughed it out like a true champion. And he comfortably accounted for me! (He’s younger by three years plus don’t forget my sore hip!!)

         Photo to Right: My roommate, Paul Moorcroft - did I say 5'4?  It must have been 4'4"!!                                     

The Chief of Football, Geoff Walsh (Walshy), was coming last. (If you happen to read this by chance Geoff, I thought it important that you got a mention!) The club Doctor Reuben Branson, trainer Rohan Bounds, and physiotherapist Gary Nicholls were all back there with him. They had to bring up the rear! I think Ryan Whitehouse was back there too. But he would have been there because of lack of stamina I would think. Actually, Walshy was probably supporting him!

Mick Malthouse was hovering back there too (to keep an eye on them!) and at one stage I looked back down the canyon and he was about a kilometre behind, then he kept getting closer and closer and my mind said “don’t let him catch up” (that competitive instinct!) but my body was having nothing of that – particularly my legs – one step after the other. That was all I had in me! In no time flat Mick passes me – my thinking being that it was about 2kms from the top. Mick urges me on and casually comments “just 6kms to go”. If I had a mobile phone, I would have called for a helicopter! My biggest fear though was that Walshy and Whitehouse might catch me too! But Mick said they were 5kms behind. My arithmetic, based on my legs, calculated that there was an outside possibility that they might. Then I had a mental image of them struggling and felt confident of victory. (I was the only one racing – and Paul was too, although he said he wasn’t). There was still an outside chance that Walshy and Ryan could pass me but I felt that it could only happen if the Doc, Physio and Trainer put them on stretchers and carried them up!

Photo to Right: I think that's Mick way back there deciding that he'd given me enough start.  Well he hadn't!!

What seemed an eternity after Mick passed me, I eventually made it to the top, only to find the bus driver sitting there by himself. He directed me to a fast food place some 700 or 800 metres away (that was 700 or 800 metres that I really could have done without). Finally got there, walked (staggered) in the door to an eruption of cheers. That made my day. What a great bunch of blokes. Support and encouragement – even to an old bloke they’d never heard of a week before.

The bus ride back to the hotel took an hour and a half or two hours, and was very quiet apart a fair bit of snoring!

In all of the days we were there the players only got the one day off, and on this day, us “execs” and non playing staff drove to Sedona for a leisurely bike ride through the hills. I think it lasted about three hours and fair dinkum, if I had a choice of the canyon and that, I would take the canyon! The leisurely part was when we got off the bike at the end. It seemed like it was uphill all the way although I’m assumed by Ryan that it wasn’t. Beautiful scenery though – and Ryan kept telling me this when I was in absolute agony, pedalling up some hill and he’s alongside me unshaven with a big silly grin on his face (having a ball at my expense). (He’s the same bloke that chatted nonstop to me when I was suffering badly on the treadmill back at Collingwood headquarters in the high altitude room!) I told him that I was going to talk to his father about him! By all accounts from Ryan, his dad’s a good bloke anyway - except that he barracks for St Kilda.

When the ride was nearly over, David Buttifant (Butters) stops us as a group at a track intersection. Butters is about 45, the Director of Sports Science, a fitness nut, and the bloke, that for the past ten years, has dreamt up and put into practice torturous “things”. And he does it all with a smile! And participates in it too! So it can’t be said that something is impossible because he’ll prove you wrong. Anyway, we’re at this intersection and he says “well fellas, you have a choice. That way is ½km back to the car, and that way is back the way we came. What do you want to do?” Well I’d more than enjoyed my “leisurely” ride and happily volunteered for the ½km! Butters, and I think Mick too, gave the “stare” and made comment about taking “the easy way”. I thought “Oh shit!” And then with smiles broken out, we all headed down the ½km track, and I quietly thanked the Lord!

Photo to Left: Me (right), absolutely exhausted with Ryan just waiting to pounce.  See... I wasn't lying!

During our time in Flagstaff we ate mostly at a couple of University canteens and were encouraged by Butters to eat lots of fruit and vegetables, pasta’s – you know, all that healthy stuff. Stuff that I really wished my roommate didn’t eat as much of! Mind you, you didn’t want to stand down wind of Butters either! (And his face was always impassive – giving nothing away!)

Lots of time was also spent in and around the hotel. Lots of team meetings. One where all four of us “execs” gave a chat about ourselves. Naturally I chatted about Mbantua Gallery. There was actually a lot of interest in regard to it, and over my time in Flagstaff, had lots of informal chatter about the art and our artists in Utopia, plus our Foundation. I also took with me a heap of newsletters which I gave out and got positive feedback, and lots of questions. There was certainly a genuine interest from many quarters. Mick has even got a couple of canvases from Turkey Creek rolled up under his bed or in a closet which he is going to get back to me on.

I was genuinely surprised at how well everyone seemed to get on. Players, coaches, medical staff, trainers, photographers, football managers... the lot! There was mutual respect for everyone and everyone’s position. Luke Ball, an ex-St Kilda captain, arrived a few days after everyone else and he was made really welcome. Everyone signed a Collingwood Guernsey for me, plus a photograph of my two grandsons, and certainly made us four “execs” very welcome.

Scott Watters, himself only with the Club some three weeks at the time, told me how well all the coaching staff gelled together and got on terrifically. And that was very obvious. All the players I thought were really a great bunch of young men. Some very young and no doubt quite inexperienced in worldly ways – something you tend to overlook when you’re just a fan in the crowd.

Us “execs” left a couple of days before the rest and on leaving, there was plenty of hand shaking and “keep in touch’s”. I think I have a new respect for the work that everyone puts in. And to the players, from the Captain to the last recruit, I found them to be an absolutely terrific bunch of young men. And I also made three new “exec” friends.

Since the trip, apart from putting back on the 5kgs I lost, Collingwood, per chance, had to come to Alice Springs to play the Adelaide Crows – just a couple of weeks ago. Mick Malthouse, Butters, Justin Crow, Mick Dugina, David Francis (the latter two who weren’t in Arizona), and Doc. Reuben, all popped into the Gallery to say hello and do a tour with me. They all enjoyed it and were pretty impressed with ‘Earth’s Creation’. The players and other coaches couldn’t make it as they had a tight schedule of team meetings etc.

Picture to Right: In Mbantua Cultural Museum - From Left: Justin Crow, me, Mick Malthouse, David Buttifant, and Mick Dugina.

Butters actually said that in Melbourne a couple of months ago, he listened to my daughter Dale talking on Aboriginal art on the ABC radio. So an awareness has been created! (Apart from physical torture awareness... although I think the players secretly love it and don’t think its tough enough. That’s the rumour I heard...)

Photo to Left: The work outs were often so easy that the players had time for a nap!



For the Alice Springs match I got an invite into the rooms before the game and took my two grandsons along with one of their mates. They were overawed and Mick gave them plenty of time. I also was able to quickly say hello to a lot of the players as they were about to go into their warm ups. It was very enjoyable.

On March 22nd, Collingwood have their season launch dinner in Melbourne which Dale and I will be attending as I believe the other three execs will be as well. It will be nice to catch up with them too. Also Ryan – yes, even Ryan who actually did a tremendous job with us over in Arizona – as much as I hate to admit it!

So to conclude this marathon story, I need to say very little. From personally knowing not a sole when I arrived in Melbourne prior to this Arizona trip, I returned less than two weeks later with a bunch of new friends, new respects, new knowledge, plenty of laughs under my belt, 5kg lighter, fitter, a sore hip, good memories, and lots more. This all with a flow on effect of having Mbantua Gallery visited by Mick and Butters and various staff with him, being able to take my grandsons in the room and no doubt there will be lots more catching up all around.

This of course couldn’t be done with other clubs, you know that don’t you! Go the Pies!!!





1 comment:

  1. A new Collingwood supporter just signing in!!!!
    Great blog

    ReplyDelete